The Archaeology Room at Somerset House displays some of the foundations of the original Tudor house.
These foundations, which re-used earlier medieval footings, relate to the original Somerset House built by Edward Seymour (Lord Protector and Duke of Somerset) from the late 1540s onwards.
An extensive wall foundation, consisting of Kentish ragstone blocks was constructed onto the southern face of medieval chalk foundations from a previous building.
Also located during excavations of this site was Saxon and medieval rubbish pits of animal bone and loom weights. These demonstrate the continuity of occupation from the Saxon settlement of Lundenwic.
During the 18th century Somerset House fell gradually into ruin and was demolished in 1775, where the new Somerset House was constructed.