St Bride’s Church was designed by Sir Christopher Wren in 1672 in Fleet Street in the City of London.
Activity at the site dates from the Roman period, evident by a Roman mosaic located within the church Crypts.
Worship is believed to date from the Middle Saxons in the 7th century and remained constant through to present day.
Like many sites across London, St Brides was destroyed in the Great Fire. The old church was replaced by an entirely new building designed by Sir Christopher Wren, one of his largest and most expensive works, taking seven years to build.
The church was gutted by fire-bombs dropped by the Luftwaffe during the London Blitz of the Second World War, on the night of 29 December 1940, dubbed the Second Great Fire of London due to the enormous amount of damage caused.
One fortunate and unintended consequence of the bombing was the excavation of the church’s original 6th century Saxon foundations. Today the crypt, known as the Museum of Fleet Street, is open to the public and contains a number of ancient relics including Roman coins and medieval stained glass.