Highgate Cemetery is a large burial complex in North London in the Highgate area.
The cemetery is is divided into two parts, named the East and West cemetery and holds approximately 170,000 people buried in around 53,000 graves.
The cemetery in its original form – the northwestern wooded area – opened in 1839, as part of a plan to provide seven large, modern cemeteries, known as the “Magnificent Seven”, around the outside of central London.
The inner-city cemeteries, mostly the graveyards attached to individual churches, had long been unable to cope with the number of burials and were seen as a hazard to health.
Highgate, like the others of the Magnificent Seven Cemeteries, soon became a fashionable place for burials and was much admired and visited.
The most famous burial in the East cemetery is arguably that of Karl Marx.