Brompton Cemetery was established by an act of parliament in 1839, located in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, it was originally named West of London and Westminster Cemetery.
For hundreds of years, almost all London’s dead were buried in small parish churchyards, which quickly became dangerously overcrowded. Brompton was one of the magnificent seven cemeteries established in the 19th century to alleviate overcrowding in existing parish burial grounds.
Some 35,000 monuments, from simple headstones to substantial mausolea, mark the resting place of more than 205,000 burials. The site includes large plots for family mausolea, and common graves where coffins are piled deep into the earth, as well as a small columbarium.
The cemetery was designed by architect Benjamin Baud, with at its centre stands a modest domed chapel dated from 1839 in the style of the basilica of St. Peter’s in Rome, and at its southern end a long parallel line of colonnades flanked by catacombs.