St George’s Garrison Church in Woolwich was built in the 1860s to serve as the church and chapel of the Royal Artillery Barracks.
The church was struck by a German bomb in 1944 during the Blitz, leaving it a roofless ruin.
Despite the damage, mosaics and standing walls in a neo-byzantine style of architecture survived, along with marble tablets commemorating the names of artillery men who fell in battle and received the Victoria Cross.
The church is listed on the English Heritage’s “at-risk” register of sites, but preservation work has recently begun to ensure the church remains a monument to the men of the Royal Artillery.
Not accessible to the public.