Temple church is a 12th century church located off Fleet Street, built by the Knights Templar as their centre of English worship and administration.
Prior to the construction of Temple Church, the Knights Templar would meet at a site in High Holborn in a building established by Hugues de Payens (co-founder and first Grand Master of the Knights Templar).
The church comprises of a nave called the “Round Church” and an adjoining rectangular Chancel, the nave was based on the designs of the Church of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem.
Temple Church was consecrated in 1185 by Heraclius, Patriarch of Jerusalem in which it’s believed was attended by Henry II.
After the disbandment and abolition of the Knights Templar by Pope Clement V, Edward took ownership of the Church and estate in which he gave the site to The Order of the Knights of Saint John (Knights Hospitaller).
The church survived the Great Fire of London, but on May 10, 1941, a German air raid during the blitz set the roof of the Round Church on fire which quickly spread to the nave and chapel.
Walter Godfrey restored the church and Temple Church was rededicated in November 1958.
Opening times vary. Please visit : http://www.templechurch.com