Ashby’s Mill, often referred to as simply ‘Brixton Windmill’ was built in 1816 and worked by wind until 1862.
The sails were removed in 1864 and the windmill converted to be used for storage. In 1902, a steam engine was installed and the windmill worked again but this time by engine until 1934, supplying wholemeal flour to London’s West End hotels and restaurants.
After WW2, there were proposals to demolish the windmill to develop the land for a block of flats, but the proposal was rejected and the windmill conserved.
In 1964, the London County Council fitted the windmill with sails and machinery from a derelict windmill in Lincolnshire and the site finally re-opened in 2011 after a community and lottery funded restoration project.
Access varies. Please visit : http://brixtonwindmill.org/visit