Jack Cade’s Cavern, also named Blackheath Caverns was discovered in 1780 during the construction of new housing in Greenwich.
The cavern contains three man made chambers, believed to be of 17th or early 18th century in date and mined for the Chalk layers beneath Greenwich.
Historians believe that the caverns were carved out by a family of lime burners called the Steers who had kilns just adjacent.
After their discovery, the caverns were opened to the public in 1853 as a tourist attraction for social engagements and parties.
In 1939, the caverns were opened again for inspection as a possible site for air raid shelters by council engineers, but was deemed unsuitable and permanently sealed after the war.
The site is located southwest of Greenwich Park, beneath the lawns of Hollymount Close. The original entrance was at the end of a row of cottages called “Cavern Cottages” at the side of Tinity Church (destroyed in WW2) on Blackheath Hill.