Greenwich Castle (not to be confused with the adjacent Palace of Placentia pictured centre) was constructed in 1433 on “Castle Hill” by Humphrey, Duke of Gloucester, which is now occupied by the Old Royal Observatory.
Only contemporary illustrations and sketches, supported by excavation work by archaeologists has enabled historians to gain a picture of what the former fortification once looked like.
The castle was originally built with a moated stone tower, but was converted by Henry VIII into a double towered residence enclosed by a wooden fence with a gate lodge.
However, this is contested as an illustration by Antony Van Den Wyngaerde of Greenwich Palace, dated 1558, depicts the castle in the background as a square keep with only a single tower. (Article pic above)
Further construction projects were undertaken in the early 17th century by Lord Northampton, the Park Ranger to include additional buildings and was used as a look-out post by Parliamentarian soldiers, charged with preventing the theft of deer from the park during the Tudor commonwealth
In 1675, Greenwich castle was demolished for the construction of the Old Royal Observatory.