The ruins of “St John the Evangelist” are a brick built church that was consecrated in 1632.
It stands next to the current St Johns Church, a Victorian construction that was consecrated in 1850.
Sir John Wolstenholme paid for the 1632 Stuart church after the land was gifted by Sir Thomas Lake.
The site has been a place of worship since the Roman period, where it’s believed there stood a compitum shrine, possibly from the ruins of Roman Sulloniacis in the area.
A Saxon church later followed, then a 14th century Parish church dedicated to St Mary.
Access varies. Please visit : http://www.stjohnschurchstanmore.org.uk