All Hallows Church Southwark was designed by George Gilbert Scott Junior and built in 1879-80 in Copperfield Street south of the river.
The church suffered bomb damage on two occasions in WW2, in addition to being gutted by a landmine where it remained a relative ruin.
It was not until 1957 that any attempt was made to salvage the bombed church, but due to the poor state of the surviving remains, the main structure and northern parts of the building had to be demolished. A crucifix at the end of the church garden stands on what was once the altar of the original church in a community garden.
The new church was built by George Reindorp, a former Provost at Southwark Cathedral and consecrated in Autumn of 1958. The smaller church was in use until 1971 when a dwindling congregation meant it was no longer sustainable.
Open all hours