Excavations by archaeologists indicate that a church existed on this site as far back as the Saxon period.
A medieval version of the church had been destroyed in the late 11th century by one of the earliest recorded (and one of the most violent) tornadoes in Britain, the London Tornado of 1091.
Considered the second most important church in the City of London after St Paul’s Cathedral, St-Mary-le-Bow was one of the first churches to be rebuilt by Christopher Wren and his office.
The current building was built to the designs of Wren between 1671 and 1673; the 223-foot (68 m) steeple was completed in 1680.
Access varies – Please visit : http://www.stmarylebow.co.uk